1923 Sale of the Reading Room
From Lacey Green History
Research by Joan West in conversation with Trudy Saunders, wife of Mosh Saunders who lived there as a young boy.
Sold about 1923 It was sold to John William Saunders of Lacey Green, builder.
Conveyance. All that piece of land at Lacey Green, containing 5 poles, together with the bungalow, formerly The Reading Room.
More room needed
John William’s son, William John Saunders and his wife Flo. were living at Idle Corner. They had 1 son, Ted, and were expecting twins and needing more room, so John bought the old Reading Room for them. He extended it one end, making it 3 rooms with a narrow kitchen at the back.
1939 to late 1951 this bungalow was let to Mr and Mrs G Rixon.
30TH July 1952 Conveyance
William John Saunders, Lacey Green, builder, sold the bungalow for £812 to Gordon Ernest Davis of High Wycombe,
Gordon Davis and his wife Pat had two children. A further bedroom was added in the 1960s, also a precast concrete garage in the grounds. The left late 1970s
Conveyance
Sold to Bucks County Council as a residence for the school caretaker. When it fell into disrepair it was demolished.
Site Divided
In the early 1980s the land was divided between the school, making room for a new childrens’ entrance. and the property next door called “Colangatta”.
| 1923 Sale of the Reading Room | |
|---|---|
| Year | 1923 |
| Village | Lacey Green |
| Author | |
| Copywrite | |
| Theme | Site of the Reading Room |
| Social Period | Category:1920's |