Kiln Lane
From Lacey Green History
research by Joan West.
Kiln Lane began as a track to village ponds. Subsequently cottages built had to give a right of way to the ponds and other land beyond. It was recognised officially as a road in 1823 although it was not tarmacked until the 1930's
For Ian Kelloway's article on the prehistory click -3645
Dennis Claydon published a booklet called "Tarmac and Beyond". Much was known about Kiln Lane, but Dennis Claydon researched and wrote about it so brilliantly that the history of the lane written here will include extracts from his booklet leaving nothing out. A few later facts have been added.
-
Rosemary Mortham wrote the following introduction, dated February 2003 : -
The coming of the year 2000 was celebrated in Kiln Lane with the burying of a time capsule in the garden of 'Pondside'; also a most enjoyable "Millennium" Party, held in midsummer rather than New Year's Day, in the hope of enjoying good weather. We were indeed blessed by a beautiful day. Everyone was out bright and early for a shared lunch in the field next to "Highwood", which had been kindly loaned for the occasion by Dennis Claydon.
The highlight of the day was a walk down our Lane, led by Dennis. We were fascinated by the stories which he told, and amazed by the amount of information which he had amassed about one small lane. It was generally felt that this should be recorded for future generations, and after some nagging by me, Dennis agreed to give it a try. A good deal of further research led to the production of this small book. Co-incidentally, it would appear that the area of Kiln Lane can be traced back for at least the 2000 years that brought about this production.
-
The story of Kiln Lane is told here with information from "Tarmac and Beyond" by Denis Claydon
Chapter 1. Grim’s Ditch
The village of Lacey Green, south-east of Princes Risborough in Buckinghamshire, is situated high in the Chiltern Hills, overlooking the Vale of Aylesbury. Kiln Lane lies towards the south-eastern outskirts of the village. From its junction with Main Road, this unpretentious lane heads north-eastwards, soon leaving the confines of the village, thence curving down into a deep narrow valley and continuing eastwards, towards Speen.
Undoubtedly, the oldest feature of Kiln Lane is Grim's Ditch, an ancient earthwork, consisting of an earthen bank and ditch. The name is derived from folklore, which attributed any mysterious earthwork to the Devil, sometimes known as Grim, hence Grim's Ditch.
For the full chapter given in "Tarmac and Beyond" click Grim's Ditch.
Chapter 2. The Brick Makers of ‘Lacey's Green’
From the dim mists of pre-history, a giant leap forward in time, to the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. From this period documents and maps first make reference to ‘Lacies Green’, ‘Leasey Green’ and ‘Lacey’s Green’. It is reasonable to assume therefore that the first foundations of the community were being laid at this time.
For the full chapter given in "Tarmac and Beyond" click Brick Making in Kiln Lane.
Chapter 3. The Enclosures in Princes Risborough.
Common land, in medieval times, provided rights for the peasants. These rights included the removal of wood and stones, grazing of stock and the gathering of fallen fruit. During the twelfth century, lords of the manor began to claim direct ownership of such ground. From the thirteenth century, areas were fenced off in a trend known as enclosure. This practice rapidly escalated during the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries.
The survey and valuations of 1808-1810 were probably consulted and taken into account, the proposal to seek the Enclosure of the Parish of Princes Risborough was first suggested. Following the Royal Assent to the Bill in 1820, another three years were to elapse before the matter finally become reality.
For the full chapter given in "Tarmac and Beyond", click Enclosures campaign where Dennis reports on the local uproar when this was proposed.
Chapter 4. "Kiln Lane at the Enclosure", from Tarmac and Beyond. Despite the turmoil and emotional upset of the Enclosure, plus the devastating effect on certain individuals, the original document held in the County Record Office makes interesting reading. It records landownership by numbered plots, public and private roads, public footways and bridleways, and public ponds. This document provides the modern local historian with a wealth of information.
The Commissioners nominated and appointed to oversee the Enclosure were William Collisson of Brackley, Northamptonshire, Edward Horwood of Aston Clinton, Buckinghamshire, and Charles Smith of New Windsor, Berkshire. Their task would keep them occupied for a further three years, until the Enclosure was finally concluded on the thirteenth of March 1823.
Kiln Lane can readily be identified from the Enclosure Award Map, described as a ‘public Bridleway of the breadth of twelve feet’. It leads ‘from the new Lacey Green Road at the south-west corner of an allotment to John Grubb Esq., over the south side of the same allotment to the gate leading into High Wood, thence along the north-west side of the same wood to the Parish of Monks Risborough near Iron Beech Kiln’. This, in fact, includes part of the present day Bridleway L21, running towards Lily Bottom.
All the land bordering the northern edge of Kiln Lane was in the ownership of John Grubb. This land, apart from a small area now bounded by Main Road, Idle Corner, the Village Hall and Roundlands, extended eastwards, and northwards as far as The Windmill. It consisted of over one hundred acres, in a series of large fields, which Grubb had purchased from the Commissioners. The Windmill, at this time, was considered to be in Loosley Row.
Along the southern boundary of Kiln Lane, land was divided between two owners, Lord Cavendish and Grubb. Cavendish held one hundred and seventeen acres, comprising ‘Stockings Farm’ (Stocken Farm) in the tenancy of Ann Dell. Grubb had been successful in his claim for the Brick Kiln. He had thus been awarded ‘Plot 729°, comprising ‘Brick-kiln Cottage and Inclosures’, totalling a little over four acres. This area was termed as ‘Old Inclosures’, suggesting they had been enclosed in earlier times. ‘Brick-kiln Cottage’ was in fact ‘Malmsmead’, the only dwelling in Kiln Lane at this time.
Chapter 5. Public Ponds In hilltop settlements of the Chilterns, a long-standing problem for many generations was the supply of water for cattle and domestic purposes. In long dry summers areas were prone to periods of severe drought. If a community lacked a Parish Well, the only means of supply was water collected from cottage rooftops, stored in underground tanks, or from ponds. A shortage of water at Stokenchurch in the late 1860’s, during a period of drought, caused beer to be cheaper than water!
The Enclosure, maybe recognising the problems, made provision for nine Public Ponds within the Parish, (then the Parish of Princes Risborough). One of these was in Longwick, whilst the other eight, perhaps predictably, were in Lacey Green. Loosley Row was fortunate in that it possessed a Parish Well, whilst Speen, on the other hand, seemed to manage without either, possibly being able to survive by using private ponds
Two of these public ponds are situated in Kiln Lane. The smaller of the two lies at the western end of Kiln Lane and is known as Whitewashing Pond. It is described in the Enclosure Award as a ‘public pond or watering place... in an allotment of the said John Grubb containing eighteen perches with a road thereto of the breadth of twenty feet from the new Lacey Green Road, including the Public Bridleway No. 1’.
The second pond is situate a few metres to the north-east and is known as Deep Pit Pond. It bears a similar description in the Enclosure Award as Whitewashing, being in the “same Allotment near the Brick Kiln...containing twenty four perches’.
For the full stories of these ponds click Deep Pit Pond and Whitewashing Pond
Chapter 6. Malmsmead
6.
“Malmsmead”
At the time of the Enclosure, as previously stated, ‘Malmsmead’ was the only dwelling in Kiln Lane. Even at this stage the building was a mature one, reputedly dating from the seventeenth century. Over the course of time the dwelling has varied between being one main residence or two cottages. It is, today, composed of two cottages, ‘Malmsmead’ and ‘Walnut Cottage’, which together form one of the seven listed buildings of special architectural or historic interest in Lacey Green.
The building consists of a seventeenth century bay to the west, rebuilt in brick and flint during the nineteenth century. An early eighteenth century chequered brick range to the east, featuring glazed bricks, with 20" century brick extensions to the north end of the east range. The structure certainly has a long and fascinating history.
Scratched into a brick, on the east side of the building, is the date 1499. This appears rather early to be genuine. Perhaps this is the work of some mischievous youth in times past?
Possibly the earliest surviving records of the building, date from the middle of the nineteenth century. On the 31* December 1855, William Woods, a Miller, of Loosley Row purchased the property from a group of gentlemen residing in Norfolk and Essex. These gentlemen are known to have represented the Mortgagees of the Duke of Buckingham who had become a landowner in the Parish. Could it be that the Duke was the former owner of the property and that these gentlemen were trying to recoup some of their lost assets?
William Woods, who was no doubt working at the Windmill, then known as Loosley Row Windmill, was possibly a tenant of the Duke, for the Duke owned a considerable amount of land to the north-west of Kiln Lane, extending as far as the Windmill. Indeed, it is the Duke who is reputedly credited with having the Windmill removed from Chesham and placed in its present position in 1821.
Whether William Woods was a shrewd businessman who had an eye for making a quick “buck” is not known, but after barely two months he sold the property. The Purchaser was Joshua Dell, described as a Timber Dealer, a resident of Lacey Green. Joshua Dell’s Father and Grandfather, both named Thomas, had farmed at Speen Farm.
Research reveals that Joshua purchased two cottages and four acres of land situated around the centre of the village in 1838, (Vine Cottage/Idle Corner, plus land now occupied by the Village Hall and Roundlands.) This property had been in Joshua’s family over several generations, dating back to the eighteenth century. In February 1856 he sold all this property to Mary Grace.
By an Indenture dated 8" March 1856 Joshua Dell contracted with William Woods for the purchase of property in Kiln Lane. The property (‘Malmsmead’) is described thus:
‘All that messuage or farmhouse and Homestead with the Barn Stable and other outbuildings thereto belonging situate and being at Lacey Green in the parish of Princes Risborough aforesaid And also All that two closes of pasture land adjoining and belonging to said Farmhouse and Homestead called or known by the name of Brick Kiln Closes All which said Farmhouse Homestead Closes and premises contain together by admeasurement four acres and twenty eight perches (be the same more or less) and are part of a farm called ‘Kiln Farm’ late in the occupation of George Webster and now of William Floyd and which comprise a certain Old Inclosure heretofore belonging to John Grubb Esquire distinguished upon the Map or Plan annexed to the Award of the Commissioners for enclosing the said Parish of Princes Risborough by the Number 729...’
A right of way is also established to the property, ‘...particularly a general and unlimited right of road or way with or without horses carts and carriages at all times thereafter over and along so much of a certain road or way leading out of Lacey Green Road...’.
The Plans accompanying the ‘Abstracts of Title’ date from the time of the Enclosure. The earliest of these indicates only the house, not showing any outbuildings. In the vicinity of where ‘Highwood’ now stands some buildings are indicated, which would have been the site of the Kiln.
The before mentioned report on Grim’s Ditch states that in the survey area near Stocken Farm ‘an alignment of positive anomalies may indicate the foundations of a former farm building’. It continues by making the point that their orientation is not consistent with any of the existing buildings at Stocken Farm.
As these positive anomalies lie towards the north-east corner of the survey area, it is a matter of conjecture whether they could be associated with ‘Malmsmead’, in the days when it was ‘Kiln Farm’, rather than with Stocken Farm. There is a tradition that the nearby timbered building, now known as ‘Kiln Barn’, once served as the barn and outbuildings to ‘Kiln Farm’. There is no positive proof of this, however, it is possible that Joshua Dell was perhaps responsible for the erection of this building. Certainly two wooden cottages, with a range of attached farm buildings, existed on the site at the time of his death in 1865.
The 1861 Census records Joshua Dell, a bachelor, living with his younger married sister, Anne, and her family. She was the wife of John Claydon and they had five children, Jabez, Eliza, Mary, Elizabeth and Joseph.
Following his death, Joshua, by his Will, bequeathed his property equally between his two nephews, Jabez and Joseph. Jabez was a young man of twenty-six years of age at the time of his Uncle’s death. Joseph, however, was still a minor, an eleven year old school boy, and thus could not officially inherit the Estate until he attained the age of twenty-one years.
Upon reaching the age of majority in 1875, a Plan was drawn up of ‘Kiln Farm Cottages’, detailing the equal amounts of two acres, thirty-four poles, allotted to each brother. The brothers, accepting their respective portions, under the terms of their late Uncle’s Will, signed the Plan. The Vicar of Lacey Green, Reverend William Johnston Burgess and William Ralph Burgess, both of Lacey Green Vicarage, witnessed the signatures, as was the custom of the day.
The Plan clearly indicates that ‘Malmsmead’ consisted of two cottages at this time. Jabez’s portion consisted of ‘Malmsmead’, together with adjacent meadowland. Also included were some farm buildings, comprising a cow shed and a pigsty. Part of a barn was to be shared with Joseph.
These buildings, on land belonging to ‘Malmsmead’, have long since disappeared, but were in fact attached to what is now known as ‘Kiln Barn’. Joseph’s portion consisted of two timbered cottages (‘Kiln Barn’), plus an attached range of farm buildings, including the shared barn. In addition he was to receive meadowland, to the north-east, further along Kiln Lane.
It is almost certain that Jabez Claydon availed himself of the occupancy of ‘Malmsmead’ shortly after gaining his inheritance. In 1867 he married Annie Smith, a young lady of twenty-six years of age, whom he met whilst they were both working at Lacey Green Vicarage.
Annie was born in London, but had spent time working in other parts of the country. However, the couple spent the whole of their married life at ‘Malmsmead’, then known as ‘Kiln House’. During their forty years of marriage it seems likely that Jabez converted the property back into one dwelling.
They had three daughters, Catherine, Susannah and Elizabeth. Catherine was a teacher at Lacey Green School, whilst the youngest daughter, Elizabeth, married the Headmaster of the School, Albert Phillips. Catherine, with her husband Owen Biggs, immigrated to Australia, where their descendents still reside. Susannah married and lived locally, as some of her descendants continue to do.
A bizarre and rather sad occurrence befell Annie in October 1907. Rising as normal around six in the morning she went about her usual household duties. As the morning progressed she partook of her ‘elevenses’, then, with the aid of her daughter, Elizabeth, began to prepare lunch. Feeling a little unwell and complaining of neuralgia she declined her lunch, retiring upstairs to bed to rest for a short period. Around a quarter to two she arose, went downstairs, requested a cup of tea and proceeded to the backhouse, passing through the kitchen to get there.
On preparing the cup of tea, Elizabeth went to the backhouse to inform her mother, only to find her lying on the floor. The floor onto which Annie had fallen was of brick construction. Elizabeth noticed that her mother had sustained bruises to her forehead and nose. Following assistance it was discovered that Annie was dead and a Doctor was summoned.
The Doctor concluded that Annie had died through shock caused by falling upon the floor. As she had previously been reasonably hale and hearty an Inquest was necessary. The Jury returned a verdict of accidental death. Jabez continued to reside at ‘Malmsmead’ until his death in 1910.
Following the death of Jabez the property was sold, the purchaser being a Mrs. Hyde of London. Then followed what can only be described as one of the more colourful periods in the history of the building. Mrs. Hyde did not wish to take up residence but decided to let the property, and the exploits of the two young men who took up the tenancy will be revealed in the next chapter.
During the 1920/30’s Mrs. Mabel de Selincourt was the owner of the property, then known as ‘Lavender Cottage’. Mrs. de Selincourt was either the Mother or the Aunt of Elizabeth Dorothy de Selincourt. In 1913, Dorothy, known as ‘Daphne’, had married Alan Alexander Milne at St Margaret’s, Westminster. Milne had been a young assistant editor of ‘Punch’. It was during the course of his work that he met Daphne. Returning from active service after the Great War, Milne found his services at the magazine were no longer required. Encouraged by his wife, he began to write books, poems and plays on his own account.
The birth of a son, Christopher Robin, in 1920, brought much rejoicing. Milne wrote ‘Winnie the Pooh’ stories and other poems for his son. Again, encouraged by Daphne, these stories were published. It is chiefly because of the ‘Winnie the Pooh’ and ‘Christopher Robin’ stories, which have become so popular with children, that Milne is remembered.
Mrs. de Selincourt is known to have had a revolving summerhouse in the large garden at ‘Lavender Cottage’, in which she spent many hours sunning herself.
Another owner of the property was Dr. Charles Fagg, an eminent Physician of Guys Hospital in London. Mrs Fagg suffered with ill health, but was fortunate enough to have a ‘live in’ resident nurse. The couple had two children, a son, who followed in his Father’s footsteps as a Doctor, and a daughter, Beatrice, who remained in the village for the remainder of her life.
Bessie Currell, the daughter of George Currell of Lime Tree Cottages, Kiln Lane, was employed in the Fagg household. Bessie’s niece, Daphne Bristow, a young girl living in the village, suffered an accident in the garden of her home. On admission to hospital in Aylesbury, it was found she had broken her arm at the elbow joint.
At the instigation of Dr. Fagg she was transferred to Guy’s Hospital. Unfortunately, whilst there she fell from a wheelchair, breaking the same joint again, thus necessitating several months stay in hospital. By a strange coincidence, at the same time, Daphne’s father was diagnosed with appendicitis. The cure for this was still in its infancy, thus the condition was considered to be of a fairly serious nature. Once again Dr. Fagg arranged for the patient to be admitted to Guy’s Hospital, where the treatment provided proved to be a complete success. For a short time father and daughter were in adjoining wards. Daphne, at the time, a pretty blonde haired child, recalls that Dr. Fagg always addressed her as ‘Flower’. Sometimes he would allow her to accompany him as he toured the wards.
Another recollection is of the Fagg’s nurse taking Daphne and her sister on a walk to Lacey Green Windmill. The owner of the Windmill must have been friendly with the nurse, for the party were provided with tea before the return journey.
The next Purchaser was Mr Arnold S. Clark, a London businessman in the glass industry. Mr Clark moved his wife, Zettie, and young family, to ‘Lavender Cottage’, following the evacuation of London in 1939. A distinguished Baptist Local Preacher, it was whilst resident at ‘Lavender Cottage’ that Mr Clark first established his long association of almost forty years with Lacey Green Methodist Church and Loosley Row Baptist Church.
Regularly supplying the pulpits of each respective Church, he is known to have delivered approximately one thousand two hundred sermons in Lacey Green Methodist Church, probably the greatest number of sermons ever delivered by one man in that Church. For more than a quarter of a century he conducted a combined Christmas Day service between the two Churches, held alternately in each Church. Both Churches closed in 2001.
In 1942 Mr Clark moved to nearby Parslow’s Hillock and ‘Lavender Cottage’ was purchased by the Misses Helen Mary and Kathleen Sampson. The situation of the property at the time is described as ‘approached from a quiet lane on the outskirts of a hill-top Village, amid rural surroundings but handy for the Village amenities’. Obviously only one dwelling at this time, the accommodation comprised Verandah, Lounge Hall, Lounge, Study, Lobby, Kitchen, Large Larder, five Bedrooms and a Bathroom.
The grounds consisted of ‘a pretty ornamental garden with brick paths, fine trees and shrubs, tennis lawn, large well planted kitchen garden, greenhouse, small orchard and a paddock, in all about two and a half acres’. Probably this description of the grounds attracted the two maiden sisters to the property, for they were very keen gardeners.
Renaming the property ‘Malmsmead’, the retired schoolteachers spent numerous happy hours, for well over thirty years, tending and nurturing many exotic and unusual plants in the gardens. They cultivated a vine, which produced some fine grapes. Kathleen was also an enthusiastic beekeeper. Following the death of Helen Sampson, the house was once again converted back into two dwellings, the western end of the building forming the conversion, hence its renaming ‘Malmsmead West’.
When Kathleen Sampson died in 1980, the property and adjacent meadowland, which from the days of Jabez Claydon had remained intact, was divided up. ‘Malmsmead West’, with a sitting tenant, remained as part of the Estate of Miss Sampson. ‘Malmsmead’ and the meadowland were offered for sale by auction in two Lots.
Mr. and Mrs. Michael Piercy purchased the house and R. M. West and Son of Stocken Farm acquired the meadowland. Several years elapsed before ‘Malmsmead West’ was finally sold. The property was brought by Mr. R. Davidson and renamed ‘Walnut Cottage’.