Difference between revisions of "Ardengrove"
From Lacey Green History
| Line 40: | Line 40: | ||
C 1939 occupied by Dr Halliday & family. | C 1939 occupied by Dr Halliday & family. | ||
| + | |||
| + | '''In 1951''' Vivienne Claydon, nee Halliday and her husband, George Lacey Claydon, were living there. They moved to Speen the next year. Their son reported this in a questionnaire at a Lacey Green School Reunion 2000 leave date 1949 - 58 | ||
Revision as of 12:46, 19 June 2023
Research by Joan West
1823 THE INCLOSURES OF PRINCES RISBOROUGH
THE LAND UPON WHICH ARDENGROVE WAS BUILT IS LISTED AS A FREEHOLD GARDEN BELONGING TO JOHN CARTER DELL
ARDENGROVE (PREVIOUSLY “HIGHLANDS” & “LIEU DE REPOS”) was built between Wayside Cottage and the Methodist Chapel.
In 1841 Jacob & Rebekah Dell were recorded as shopkeepers at Darvills Hill, but by 1851 are at the later called Ardengrove in Lacey Green.
1851 Census. Jacob Dell, 46, and wife Rebekah, nee Saunders, shopkeepers, Uriah 16, Miriam 11. (Jacob was the son of Thomas Dell Jnr. & Mary,nee Carter)
1861 Census Jacob Dell, 59, and wife Rebekah, nee Saunders,58, shopkeepers, Sarah Carter Dell, 36, housekeeper. Jacob and Rebekah dried herrings causing a very fishy smell.
1871 Census. Jacob Dell, widower, with Uriah Dell, son, 36, with wife Rebecca, nee Carter Dell. (2nd cousins)
Willam Uriah, known as “Uriah”, married Rebecca Carter Dell in 1960.
They had 3 children, Laura 1865, Francis William “Willi” 1868, Margaret 1870.
1891 census. Francis William (Willi) Dell, 23 single, and his aunt Ann Carter Dell 71, unmarried.
1891 URIAH DELL DIED (Comment. !n 1891 Uriah owned this property, but it is not known when it became his)
In his will Uriah left the property “lieu de Repos” in trust for his wife, Rebecca, nee Carter Dell, then, on her death, to be sold.
1901 census. William “Willi” Dell, 33. General labourer.
1909 REBECCA DELL DIED. (widow of Uriah Dell)
EXECUTORS OF URIAH DELL SOLD TO WILLIAM ROBSON
September 11th 1909. Conveyance. The executors of Uriah Dell sold to the Reverend William Robson, the vicar of Lacey Green: -
All that cottage with the outbuildings, yard, garden and premises known as “Lieu de Repos”, now in the occupation of Francis William Dell.
This property later became called “Highlands” then “Ardengrove”
C ??? Mr Cameron, commuter to London
C 1939 occupied by Dr Halliday & family.
In 1951 Vivienne Claydon, nee Halliday and her husband, George Lacey Claydon, were living there. They moved to Speen the next year. Their son reported this in a questionnaire at a Lacey Green School Reunion 2000 leave date 1949 - 58