Difference between revisions of "Ardengrove"

From Lacey Green History

Line 1: Line 1:
T'''1823 THE INCLOSURES OF PRINCES RISBOROUGH'''
+
[[Research by Joan West]]
 +
 
 +
'''1823 THE INCLOSURES OF PRINCES RISBOROUGH'''
  
 
'''THE LAND UPON WHICH ARDENGROVE WAS BUILT IS LISTED AS A FREEHOLD GARDEN BELONGING TO JOHN CARTER DELL'''
 
'''THE LAND UPON WHICH ARDENGROVE WAS BUILT IS LISTED AS A FREEHOLD GARDEN BELONGING TO JOHN CARTER DELL'''

Revision as of 10:50, 4 September 2022

Research by Joan West

1823 THE INCLOSURES OF PRINCES RISBOROUGH

THE LAND UPON WHICH ARDENGROVE WAS BUILT IS LISTED AS A FREEHOLD GARDEN BELONGING TO JOHN CARTER DELL

ARDENGROVE (PREVIOUSLY “HIGHLANDS” & “LIEU DE REPOS”) was built between Wayside Cottage and the Methodist Chapel

1851 Census. Jacob Dell, 46, and wife Rebekah, nee Saunders, shopkeepers, Uriah 16, Miriam 11.  (Jacob was the brother of John Carter Dell)

1861 Census Jacob Dell, 59, and wife Rebekah, nee Saunders,58, shopkeepers, Sarah Carter Dell, 36, housekeeper.  Jacob and Rebekah dried herrings causing a very fishy smell

1871 Census.   Jacob Dell, widower, with Uriah Dell, son, 36, with wife Rebecca, nee Carter Dell. (2nd cousins)

Willam Uriah, known as “Uriah”, married Rebecca Carter Dell in 1960.

They had 3 children, Laura 1865, Francis William “Willi” 1868, Margaret 1870.

1891 census.  Francis William (Willi) Dell, 23 single, and his aunt Ann Carter Dell 71, unmarried.

1891 URIAH DELL DIED    (Comment.  !n 1891 Uriah owned this property, but it is not known when it became his)

In his will Uriah left the property “lieu de Repos” in trust for his wife, Rebecca, nee Carter Dell, then, on her death, to be sold.

1901 census.   William “Willi” Dell, 33. General labourer.

1909 REBECCA DELL DIED. (widow of Uriah Dell)

EXECUTORS OF URIAH DELL SOLD TO WILLIAM ROBSON

September 11th 1909.    Conveyance.   The executors of Uriah Dell sold to the Reverend William Robson, the vicar of Lacey Green: -

All that cottage with the outbuildings, yard, garden and premises known as “Lieu de Repos”, now in the occupation of Francis William Dell.

This property later became called “Highlands” then “Ardengrove”

C    ??? Mr Cameron, commuter to London

C 1939 occupied by Dr Halliday & family.